No upcoming implementations. See the syllabus for more information.
Learning outcomes of the course
Student has a basic idea about the structure and function of the maintenance and control systems of the human body.
Cytology, histology, skeletal structure, blood, the circulatory, respiratory and digestive systems. In addition, the contents include the nervous system connected with the regulation of vital functions as well as basics of Senses.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment criteria - grade 1 and 2
Student understands the basic structural and functional elements of the human body including:
- cytology & histology; student understands the basic structure of the cells and how cells form tissues and organs
- locomotive system; student understands basic features of the bone & muscle tissues. Student knows the names of the big skeletal bones and joints. Student knows locations & functions of the superficial muscles
- blood and the circulatory system; student knows the structure of the blood and functions of the circulatory systems. Student understands the activities of the white blood cells related to immunity and blood coagulation. Student knows the components of heart (also in latin)and the cardiac cycle. Student knows the differences between arteries & veins and the purpose of the lymphatic system related to circulation. In addition student understands the physiological basis related to EMG & blood pressure.
- respiratory system; student knows the structures of the respiratory tract and the processes related to breathing. In addition student knows the basics related to control mechanisms of the respiratory system and respiratory volumes.
- digestive system; student understands the structures of the digestive system and organs related to secretion of digestive enzymes and juices. Student knows how nutrients are broken into soluable forms and how they are stored or expelled from the human body.
- nervous system; student knows the elements of the central, peripheral and autonomic nervous systems. Student understands the pathways related to motor- and sensory systems and basics of the senses.
In addition student forms the base for future studies according to own professional field.