No upcoming implementations. See the syllabus for more information.
Learning outcomes of the course
- is able to act as a peer supporter for the 1st year degree students
- is able to help new students build social networks and adjust to the study community
- understands the guidance needs of international and Finnish degree students
- understands JAMK¿s guidance and support systems
- is able to guide groups online
- is able to recognize the initial difficulties that a newcomer faces in a new environment and possesses tools for solving the problems.
The course divides into three parts:
- Lectures, training and team meetings which introduce the basic tasks of a tutor, the JAMK Student Guidance System, the guidance need of the degree students and the current issues of students.
- Student-led small group guidance online. The student plans and carries out small groups meetings using online platforms for one's own small group consisting of first year students. Small group meetings consist of things concerning studies, motivation and well-being.
- Peer tutoring in practice. The main tasks of a peer tutor are helping the new students during the orientation days as well as throughout the new students first year. One of the tutors' tasks is also to recruit the new tutors.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment criteria - grade 1 and 2
The student knows how to utilize information and skills defined in the learning competences when acting as peer supporter. Student attends the lectures and completes the hours mentioned in the section "Student Workload in Hours". The reporting is done according to JAMK's reporting instructions as well as the instructions given at the lectures.
The course is graded as Pass/Fail, marked as "S" (Pass) and "0" (Fail).
If the student does not meet the minimum criteria set for the course, the grade is 0 (Fail).