No upcoming implementations. See the syllabus for more information.
Learning outcomes of the course
- is able to act as a peer supporter for the 1st year degree students
- is able to help new students build social networks and adjust to the study community
- understands the guidance needs of international and Finnish degree students
- understands JAMK’s guidance and support systems
- is able to help creating the group dynamics
- is able to recognize the initial difficulties that a newcomer faces in a new environment and possesses tools for solving the problems.
The study module divides into four parts:
- Lectures, training and team meetings which introduce the basic tasks of a tutor, the JAMK Student Guidance System, the guidance need of the degree students and the current issues of students.
- Student-led small group guidance. The student plans and carries out small groups for one’s own degree programs first year students. Small group meetings’ subjects are related to well-being and studying.
- Peer tutoring in practice. The main tasks of a peer tutor are helping the new students during the entrance examinations and orientation week as well as throughout the new students first year. Tutors task is also to recruit the new tutors.
- Optional tutoring, each tutor gets to spend 27 hours to the kind of tutoring that they find interesting. It can be sport or marketing tutoring, helping with free time activities organized by the student union or other separately agreed projects.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- (not translated)
Assessment criteria, passed/failed
The student knows how to utilize information and skills defined in the learning competences when acting as peer supporter. Student attends the lectures and completes the hours mentioned in the section “Student Workload in Hours”. The reporting is done according to JAMK’s reporting instructions as well as the instructions given at the lectures.
The study module is graded as Pass/Fail, marked as “S (Pass)” and “0 (Fail)”.
If the student does not meet the minimum criteria set for the course, the grade is 0 (Fail).