No upcoming implementations. See the syllabus for more information.
Learning outcomes of the course
The student is able to identify development needs and problem areas in his/her own field of study and work, and knows how to design a research or development project and implement it as a master’s thesis. He/she knows how to use reliable, evidence-based /research-based information from various sources in establishing the foundation and parameters of the master’s thesis. The student is able to apply professional knowledge in and choose appropriate research and/or development methods and practices for his/her master’s thesis.
- Process and procedures for the master's thesis
- Master's thesis topic and statement of the thesis problem as as a proposal
- Drafting and presentation of the master's thesis plan
- Source-critical information retrieval
- Academic writing and the formulation of a theoretical framework
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment criteria - grade 1 and 2
The course is graded as Pass/Fail, marked as “S (Pass)” and “0 (Fail)”. If the student does not meet the minimum criteria set for the course, the grade is 0 (Fail).
• is able to identify development needs and problem areas in his/her own field of study and work in cooperation with working life
• develops an appropriate research or development project into a master’s thesis by applying information, methods and behavioral skills acquired from the field
• knows how to retrieve, process and critically evaluate information, theories, concepts, methods and principles from his/her own field
• is able to compile a evidence-based/research-based body of knowledge and cite sources in accordance with JAMK's instructions
• is able to apply professional expertise to and select appropriate research/development methods and practices for his/her research & development work
The thesis is evaluated summatively following its completion and presentation, on a five-point scale according to thesis-specific criteria: 5 (Excellent), 4 (Very good), 3 (Good), 2 (Satisfactory) and 1 (Adequate).