Statistics for Managers using MS Excel, part 1 (online), 5 cr - HBIB0042
Person in charge
No upcoming implementations. See the syllabus for more information.
Learning outcomes of the course
The student is able to use basic statistical methods and techniques of data processing and analyzing, which is: collecting, presenting and describing data, applying proper statistical techniques for hypothesis testing about relationship between variables. The student understands the basic concepts in quantitative data analysis. The course will focus on practical applications with MS Excel.
IBCRI: Skills in Critical and Analytical Understanding: Critically review, analyze and understand information available from academic and professional business sources.
IBBUS: Applied Business Skills: Apply disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge to analyze business challenges and global trends to propose or put into action practical business solutions based on the findings.
Data collection, organizing data, data presentation, descriptive statistics, exploratory data analysis, probability distributions, sampling distributions, confidence interval estimation, fundamentals of hypothesis testing: one sample tests, two-sample tests, analysis of variance, chi-square and nonparametric tests. All with applications in MS Excel.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment criteria - grade 1 and 2
Assignments 90%, Written Report 10%.
- Sufficient (1) - The student shows only a sufficient understanding of the subject and of relevant theories and methods and fails to show a convincing ability to apply the knowledge to real life situation nor to communicate the concepts in an effective manner.
- Satisfactory (2) - The students knowledge covers restricted part of concepts and theories related to the subject and has deficiencies in showing the ability to apply them in assignments. Communication skills need improvement.
Assessment criteria - grade 3 and 4
- Good (3) The students knowledge covers major parts of concepts and theories related to the subject. The student´s ability to apply the knowledge to assignments shows need for improvement, as well as there is room for improvement in oral and written communication.
- Very Good (4) - The student shows good knowledge of the subject fundamentals and concepts and is able to communicate these in an effective way.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
- Excellent (5) - The student shows exceptional theoretical knowledge of fundamentals of the subject. The student demonstrates the ability to apply the knowledge to assignments and presentations with excellent written and oral communications skills.
Assessment criteria, passed/failed
The general criteria of the competences that the Bachelor's Degrees awarded by Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences provide can be found on JAMK's web pages (http://www.jamk.fi/english/forstudents/studyguide). The learning outcomes of individual courses are assessed in relation to the objectives of the course concerned. Assessment is based on knowledge, skills and competence in accordance with the National and European Qualifications Framework, level 6. Grades are from 0 to 5.