Master's thesis begins when you have made an electronic proposal for the thesis topic and you have named the main supervisor.
Small group and individual guidance held by the main supervisor online as both online and contact meetings
Peer discussion and support
Presentation of the thesis topic and plan in small group meetings
Information seeking workshops held by an Information Specialist
A separate implementation of research writing provided by the JAMK Language Center
Independent work: systematic information seeking, writing a thesis plan, taking care of agreements and research permits related to the thesis, implementing the empirical or functional phase and collecting and analyzing data or material, writing a thesis according to JAMK's reporting or project guidelines, presenting the thesis, self-evaluation
On the basis of systematic information seeking, the student obtains scientific literature suitable for the topic, problem solving and research or development methods of the thesis, which are referred to in the thesis in accordance with JAMK's reporting guidelines.
Recommended Reading Material
Stevens, J. S. & Crawford, S. L. Newest version. Project Reporting Instructions. JAMK University of Applied Sciences. https://oppimateriaalit.jamk.fi/projectreportinginstructions/
Master's thesis instructions and forms are in student's intranet in the part "Thesis and maturity test".
Matti Siistonen, Marjukka Nuutinen, Hannariina Honkanen
The thesis is done as a working life-oriented research-based development work or research. It can also be connected to RDI project.
01.08.2020 - 31.12.2021
1. Thesis planning 189 hours (7 cr)
- Information seeking workshops - carried out by an Information Specialist
- Systematic information seeking and familiarization with source material independently
- Writing and presenting a thesis plan and participating in small group and individual meetings
- Management of agreements and necessary research permit issues
2. Research writing conducted by JAMK Language Center 81 hours (3 cr)
3. Implementation phase 270 hours (10 cr)
- Empirical and functional phase, data collection and analysis
- Participation in small group and individual meetings
4. Thesis reporting and evaluation 270 hours (10 cr)
- Thesis writing, presentation, evaluation, archiving and publishing
Total 810 hours (30 cr, the workload of one credit is 27 hours)
01.08.2020 - 04.09.2020
0. The thesis process begins with an electronic topic proposal and the appointment of a main supervisor.
1. Thesis planning: information acquisition workshops, small group and individual supervision. presentation and approval of the thesis plan incl. data or material collection instruments, thesis agreement and necessary research permitions
2. Writing a research, a separate non-stop implementation by the Language Center, to which you register
3. Thesis implementation: empirical or functional implementation phase of the thesis, data collection and analysis
4. Thesis reporting and evaluation: Thesis writing, presentation, evaluation, archiving and publishing
0 - 30
The thesis is assessed with separate thesis evaluation criteria.
The main supervisor of the thesis provides developmental feedback throughout the thesis process.
Assessment methods: self-assessment, thesis statement - host company or organisatio, supervisor's assessment, the assessment decision based on these documents is made by the YAMK thesis working group according to the degree regulations.
Master's Degree Programme in Sustainable Energy
School of Technology