Community Based Interventions (SWTT2011-3006), 03.07.2023 – 29.09.2023,
Learning outcomes of the course
Purpose of the course
In this course you will learn principles of community based work in social and health sector. Communities have significant role facilitating and inhibiting individuals´ occupational engagement.
Competence in the management and promotion of occupational therapy services (Toimintaterapiapalvelujen johtamisen ja edistämisen osaaminen)
Competence in responsible occupational therapy work (Vastuullisen toimintaterapiatyöskentelyn osaaminen)
Learning outcomes of the course
After the course you will know different communities and understand the role of communities facilitating or inhibiting occupational engagement. You will know cultural aspects of communities and how to promote occupational justice. You will be able to collaborate with communities in order to promote the health and well-being for their members through their participation in occupation.
You will understand how environment can affect well-being through occupations. You will understand the principles of community centered work and cultural impact on the occupations, persons and occupational performance. You can plan and implement a developmental project in a community. You can actively seek, critically evaluate and apply a range of information and evidence to ensure that practice is up-to-date and relevant to the client.
You will know how to use Housing Enabler assessment method and use the assessment results in order to make housing community more accessible for individuals. OR You will know how to use Ralla/Pags -play observation method and use the assessment results in order to help a child to play in his/her community.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Basic understaning of client-centered work in social- and health care.
Basic concepts and cultural aspects of community based interventions.
Examples of community based interventions, such as green care and physical activities.
Developing a community based program in social and health care sector.
The use of own professional compentece in planning and implementing a short developmental project in social and health care sector.
Ralla/Pags -play observation method OR Housing Enabler home accessibility assessment method.
1,5 ECTS credits = Basement of community based interventions
1 ECTS credits = Examples of community based interventions OR International Intensive Study Week at JAMK
1,5 ECTS credits = Carrying out a developmental project OR International Study Visit Abroad
1 ECTS credits = Ralla/PAGS assessment method OR Housing Enabler assessment method
Assessment criteria, passed/failed
The criteria to pass the course:
• The student knows different communities and understands the role of communities in facilitating or inhibiting occupational engagement
• The student understands the principles of community-centered work and cultural impact on the occupations, persons, and occupational performance
• The student knows the cultural aspects of communities and how to promote occupational justice
• The student is able to collaborate with communities in order to promote the health and well-being of their members through their participation in occupation
• The student understands how the environment can affect well-being through occupations
• The student can plan and implement a developmental project in a community
• The student will know how to use the Housing Enabler assessment method and use the assessment results in order to make the housing community more accessible for individual
• The student understands the theoretical background of the Ralla method and is able to use the method. Based on the assessment results, student is able to set goals and plan interventions to support the child's play in natural environments. OR
The student understands the theoretical background of the Housing Enabler method and is able to use the method. Based on the assessment results, student is able to plan interventions or home modifications to a specific client case.
The course may include possibilities for international collaboration with university students abroad (e.g. collaborative webinars, study visits or intensive weeks).
Language of instruction
Mari Kantanen, Jaana Ritsilä, Tuula Hämäläinen
03.07.2023 - 29.09.2023
17.04.2023 - 30.06.2023
Bachelor's Degree Programme in Occupational Therapy